Cyclonic V-twin engine is smooth running and powerful
22-hp (16.4-kW) engine
The 22-hp (16.4-kW) V-twin engine used in the Select Series™ X330 Tractor provides plenty of power and torque to handle tough mulching, mowing, and bagging conditions:
- V-twin cylinder design for greater torque, lower vibration, and improved sound quality
- Large, 44.2-cu in. (724-cc) displacement
- Plenty of torque helps to get the job done fast.
- Large displacement engine increases the ability to get an even cut without mowing a second time.
- Camshaft and carburetor designs create the optimum torque rise for rapid response to varying load conditions.
- Electronic ignition for fast starts
- Cast-iron sleeves for longer engine life
- Overhead valves for excellent power and fuel economy
- Full-pressure lubrication and oil filter for keeping the oil cleaner for a long engine life and extending the time between oil changes; full-pressure lubrication is also more effective when operating the tractor on an incline
- Excellent serviceability with easily replaced air filter, fuel filter, and oil filter and a convenient oil-drain hose to make draining the oil easy and clean
Cyclonic air filter
Air filter cover
Air filter with foam precleaner
Cyclonic air-management system removes larger particles of dirt before they reach the air filter for reduced filter maintenance and longer engine life:
- Cyclonic design ejects large dirt particles before they contact the filter.
- Large, high-quality dry-type paper element air filter thoroughly cleans engine intake air.
- The cover over the air filter is easily removed with two knobs for cleaning or replacement of the filter.
Engine oil check/fill tube and oil-drain hose
Oil drain hose
Engine oil check and fill tube is conveniently located for easy access. Oil drain hose makes draining oil easy and clean.
Engine oil filter
Replaceable oil filter and fuel filter are easy to access and change to minimize service time and cost.
Debris inspection port covers
Debris inspection port
Two debris inspection ports help ensure clean engine fins for optimum cooling. Bolts to open them are conveniently located under the air filter cover.
A flywheel alternator provides plenty of capacity to quickly recharge the battery and power electrical equipment, such as lights or a sprayer:
- 14-amp charging capacity
- Regulated to keep the battery at full charge without risk of overcharging
Fuel tank has large, 3.3-U.S. gal. (12.5-L) capacity
Electronic fuel gauge
Large fuel tank and convenient fuel gauge minimize the number of stops for fuel and chance of running out of fuel:
- Fuel tank has a large, 3.3-U.S. gal. (12.5-L) capacity for more hours of operation between refills.
- Large, 3-in. (7.6-cm) diameter fuel tank filler opening makes adding fuel easy.
- Located on the left fender
- Helps eliminate spillage
- Electronic fuel gauge on the dash display allows the operator to easily monitor the amount of fuel in the tank.
42-in. (107-cm) Accel Deep™ (42A) Mower Deck cuts clean and is versatile
X350 with Accel Deep 42A Mower Deck
The 42-in. (107-cm) Accel Deep Mower Deck is a stamped-steel, deep, flat-top design that delivers excellent cut quality, productivity, cleanliness, durability, and versatility. Optimal performance and dispersion of clippings is provided, even at faster mowing speeds or in tall grass:
- 4.97-in. (12.6-cm) depth throughout the entire deck shell for optimum mowing, mulching, and bagging performance
- Optional lever-action or electric one-touch MulchControl™ system for superior mulching performance and versatility
- Stamped-steel design eliminates sharp edges and corners where material can build up and diminish mowing performance
- Mower deck suspended from the vehicle for a smooth and level cut
- Adjustable mower wheels, positioned just above ground level, help reduce scalping
- 0.25-in. (6.4-mm) cut-height increments allow the mower to be set at the desired cut height
- Compatible with efficient 7-bu (247-L) two-bag cut-and-throw material collection system
- For use on X330, X350, X354, and X370 Tractors
Excellent cut quality
42A Mower Deck underside
Deep mower-deck stamping gives excellent cut quality. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck without getting recut:
- Reducing the amount of recutting enables more power to be used to cut incoming grass, which greatly improves mower capacity.
- Helps maintain excellent cut quality at faster mowing speeds
- Clean flow of material out of discharge area prevents cut material from interfering with cutting the incoming grass, making it possible for the blades to cut incoming material cleanly.
- Even in mulching mode, cut evenness is improved compared to other designs because the additional depth allows for continuous circulation, optimal recutting, and an even distribution of clippings.
- Exact Adjust deck-leveling system allows for easy and accurate leveling of the mower deck
Productivity - gets the job done fast
Deep mower-deck stamping gives high productivity, which gets the job done fast. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck quickly, reducing the amount of recutting so more power is available to process incoming grass:
- Greatly improves mowers capacity to maintain excellent mowing performance in difficult mowing conditions and at higher speeds
Large discharge opening is both high and wide to handle more material:
- Gives a smooth, even discharge of clippings at all mowing speeds
- Reduces the chance of plugging, especially important when operating in wet, thick, or dense grass and when bagging
- Cut-and-throw chute has a large, optimized inlet which aids in collecting material by using airflow from the large deck opening
Cleanliness - for the mower and the operator
Accel Deep 42A Mower Deck
The flat-top shape of the deck stamping is optimal for keeping itself and the operator clean:
- There are few places to catch and hold material on top and underneath the deck.
- Top of deck stays cleaner, reducing time and effort needed for cleaning and service
- Underside of deck is self-cleaning to maintain optimum performance without buildup of material to interfere with the flow of air and clippings
- Less need to clean and remove buildup of material from underside deck
- The depth of the Accel Deep mower deck minimizes the amount of material that escapes from the front of the deck
- Limited amount of material to drift onto the operator and mower deck
- Even flow of material discharged out the chute, less recutting results in larger pieces that are less likely to end up on the operator
- Mulching prevents the discharge of material completely and MulchControl makes mulching a practical solution for most mowing situations.
Cleaning a mower deck, both top and bottom, is one of the most frequent maintenance activities:
- The flat-top design reduces places for material to build up and makes material that does collect easy to remove.
Mower wash port
Mower wash port with hose connector
A wash port is provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy.
- Hose connector is included with the mower deck.
Superior durability is designed in
Hinged spindle pocket cover on the 42A
Mower Deck Mower deck wheels are double captured for durability
The 42A Mower Deck has strong spindle pockets to keep the blades aligned, even after years of tough service:
- Ribs in the deck shell add strength where it is needed.
- The 42A has a 16 percent heavier overall weight than the Edge™ Xtra 42-in. (107-cm) Mower Deck.
Mower wheels are double captured:
- Provides greater strength and durability for longer, trouble-free life.
- Single-bolt adjustment makes setting wheels to the correct height for the cutting height quick and easy.
Low-tension belt-drive design reduces the side load on the engines lower bearing and mower deck bearings for longer life.
Rolled outer edge of the deck provides extra strength and protection.
Dual-stage E-coat and powder-paint coatings provide extra protection from rust.
Versatility - easy to change between side discharge, mulch, and bagging modes
Rear MulchControl baffle (A) that must be removed for bagging
Rear MulchControl baffle removed to allow for chute installation
The 42A Mower Deck is designed for maximum versatility, providing the greatest ease in changing from one mower discharge mode to another:
- With an optional MulchControl system installed (along with the special mulching blades), changing from side discharging to mulching or vice versa is done with the simple flip of a lever or push of an electric switch.
- The cut-and-throw rear bagger can be used with MulchControl by removing the rear MulchControl baffle (A) before installing the bagger chute. The baffle is held in place with two carriage bolts. To return to mulching, the chute needs to be removed and the baffle replaced.
7-bu (247-L) rear bagger
X350 with optional rear bagger
Two-piece chute (ordered separately)
An optional 7-bu (247-L) cut-and-throw rear bagger material collection system (MCS) is available for use with the 42-in. (107-cm) Accel Deep Mower. It provides an efficient means of collecting grass clippings and leaves.
The hopper design provides modern styling, great bagging performance, cleaner operation, and easy-to-empty bags:
- 7-bu (247-L) capacity
- Easy-to-attach two-peice chute (ordered separately)
- Air exhaust duct
- Convenient spring-latch
- Airflow fill indicator
- Quik-Tatch mounting
- Sealed hopper top
- Loose-knit bags available
Mower blades shipped with the rear bagger chute
High-lift bagging blades are included with the bagger chute. They provide optimum performance when bagging in difficult conditions, such as when the grass is moist, dense, or long:
- High-lift bagging blades also work well when side discharging material.
Mulching blades are included with the optional MulchControl system. They can be used for mulching, side discharging, and bagging in most conditions.
Mower blade use chart
| Mode(s) of operation
|| Mower blade
| Side discharging mode only
||Side-discharge blade (shipped with mower)
| Bagging mode only
||Bagging blade (shipped with rear bagger chute)
| Mulching mode only
||Mulching blade (shipped with MulchControl)
| Side discharge and mulching
||Mulching blade (shipped with MulchControl)
| Side discharge and bagging
||Bagging blade (shipped with rear bagger chute)
| Side discharge, mulching, and bagging
||Mulching blade (shipped with MulchControl)
Four-year or 300-hour bumper-to-bumper warranty is standard
An exclusive 4-year or 300-hour (whichever comes first), single-source, bumper-to-bumper warranty* is standard for all John Deere X300 Series Tractors.
- The warranty is hassle free, with one company handling all the paperwork.
- Premium features of X300 Series Tractors allow for this longer warranty period, with more coverage than comparable tractors.
*Term limited to years or hours used, whichever comes first, and varies by model. See the LIMITED WARRANTY FOR NEW JOHN DEERE TURF AND UTILITY EQUIPMENT at JohnDeere.com or JohnDeere.ca/TUWarranty for details.
MulchControl™ system provides superior mulching performance and rapid conversion
Lever-action MulchControl lever (shown on 48A mower deck)
Electric one-touch MulchControl switch
The optional MulchControl system makes mulching more practical for many mowing situations because it not only does an excellent job of mulching, but it also allows the mower to be easily converted for times when it is more desirable to side discharge or collect the lawn material. Advantages of mulching grass clippings include:
- Creates a beautiful looking lawn
- Smaller grass clippings disappear into the lawn canopy
- Reduces fertilizer needs
- Grass clippings are not blown onto the operator, driveways, or flower beds
- No need to dispose of bags of clippings
How MulchControl works
MulchControl baffle open (shown on Z300 48A mower deck)
MulchControl baffle closed (shown on Z300 48A mower deck)
MulchControl is an innovative, simple design that is easy to use and maintain:
- The MulchControl system includes an adjustable MulchControl baffle near the discharge chute and fixed baffles to control the flow of material under the deck.
- The MulchControl handle, or an electric one-touch actuator, is on top of the mower deck and is used to open and close the MulchControl baffle.
- When the MulchControl baffle is open, most of the material flows freely out the discharge deflector or into a material collection system.
- When the MulchControl baffle is closed, material stays within the deck and gets chopped into mulch and deposited in the turf.
MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations:
- For operators who usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
- For operators who usually side discharge, but would like to close the chute to control clippings in some areas
- For operators who always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
- For operators who collect clippings but want to go farther before emptying the material collection system
MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings.
Electric one-touch MulchControl
Electric one-touch MulchControl systems shift the MulchControl baffle using an electric actuator that is operated by a dash-mounted switch.
Electric one-touch MulchControl switch
Electric one-touch MulchControl actuator (shown on 54A mower deck)
Operators can convert between modes without interrupting the mowing process, making it possible to change between modes:
- When approaching driveways or flower beds where clippings would be undesirable
- When a breeze blows clippings back onto the operator
- For side discharge mowing only the areas of the property where grass is too thick for mulching
- With 48A and 54A Mower Decks, for collecting only the areas of the property where grass is too tall or thick for mulching
While in the side discharge mode, MulchControl still mulches about one third of the material. Therefore, the side discharge mode is essentially a partial mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
- When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
- When cutting in wet, high growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States
- When optimum bagging and lawn cleanup is desired
- 42A Mower Deck requires a MulchControl baffle be removed to install the bagger chute
When bagging with MulchControl on a 48A or 54A mower deck, the MulchControl baffle can be opened or closed with the Power Flow™ blower installed. The Power Flow blower runs without material when the baffle is closed.
Rear baffle (A) must be removed for bagging with MulchControl with 42A mower decks
When bagging with MulchControl on a 42A mower deck, the cut-and-throw rear bagger can be used with the MulchControl blades. However, the rear MulchControl baffle (A) needs to be removed to install the bagger chute. The baffle is held in place with two carriage bolts. To return to mulching, the chute needs to be removed and the baffle replaced.
Each MulchControl system is an optional field-installed attachment and includes everything needed: baffles, mulch blades, a handle (lever action attachments) or an actuator, wiring, and switches (electric one-touch attachments).
Lever-action MulchControl attachments
||42-in. (107-cm) Accel Deep MulchControl (lever action)
||Model year 2016 and newer X300 Series Tractors, Z300 Series ZTrak™ Mowers
||48-in. (122-cm) Accel Deep MulchControl (lever action)
||S240 Lawn Tractor, model year 2016 and newer X300 and X500 Series Tractors, Z300 and Z500 Series ZTrak Mowers
||54-in. (137-cm) Accel Deep MulchControl (lever action)
||Model year 2016 and newer X300 and X500 Series Tractors, Z300 and Z500 Series ZTrak Mowers
Electric one-touch MulchControl attachments
||42-in. (107-cm) Accel Deep electric one-touch MulchControl
||Model year 2016 and newer X300 Series Tractors*
||48-in. (122-cm) Accel Deep electric one-touch MulchControl
||Model year 2016 and newer X300 and X500 Series Tractors*
||54-in. (137-cm) Accel Deep electric one-touch MulchControl
||Model year 2016 and newer X300 and X500 Series Tractors*
*NOTE: Model year 2016-2017 X300 and X500 Series Tractors (X300 serial number 10,001-50,000 and X500 serial number 110,001-130,000) require replacing the tractor wiring harness and dash panel to use an electric MulchControl attachment.
Snow removal is a strength of lawn tractors
44-in. (112-cm) Front Blade
Snow blower, weather enclosure, and chains on an X300 Series Tractor
An advantage of lawn tractors is their ability to use equipment for snow removal. Lawn tractor owners can add a John Deere snow blower or front blade to make quick work of moving snow whenever the need arises. Weather enclosure and tire-chain attachments add comfort and performance.
Equipment available for snow removal includes:
- 44-in. (112-cm) Snow Blower
- 44-in. (112-cm) Front Blade
- 48-in. (122-cm) Front Blade (X394 Tractor only)
- Tire chains or TerraGrip traction belts
- Weather enclosure (available for all X300 Series, except the X350R)
Steering is low-effort sector and pinion system
Tight turning radius
A heavy-duty sector and pinion steering system with quality bearings provides easy and precise control for the life of the tractor:
- Small, 16-in. (40.6-cm) turning radius provides excellent maneuverability
- Tight turning ability improves mowing efficiency
Easy steering is important for an enjoyable mowing experience:
Large, 14-in. (36-cm) diameter steering wheel for improved leverage
Large sector gear for improved (higher) steering ratio
Dual drag links to help equalize the steering loads and reduce steering error
Ball joints on both ends of the steering tie rods for long life
Long steering arms to improve the mechanical advantage of the steering system through the full range of motion
- Sector gear that pivots on a shaft rather than a bushing to ensure proper gear mesh and eliminate binding
- Greaseable front steering spindles to reduce friction and improve wear over time
Integrated hydrostatic transaxle efficiently transmits power to wheels
Kanzaki® K46 transaxle (X330, X350, X354) Kansaki K57 transaxle (X370)
Kanzaki K58 transaxle (X380, X384, X390, X394)
The Tuff Torq® hydrostatic transaxle encloses the hydrostatic pump and motor rotator groups in the same housing with the differential and axle housings. This design is very efficient and reduces the number of sealing surfaces to minimize the potential for leakage.
Combined with the foot controls, the hydrostatic transmission functions similarly to that of an automatic transmission in an automobile, so the term automatic is often used to describe it:
- Use of the latest valve designs has significantly reduced the sound level.
- Large pump and motor rotating groups ensure long life and efficient operation.
A freewheeling valve control is conveniently located near the tractor rear hitch plate for good visibility and easy operation.
Kanzaki and Tuff Torq are trademarks of Kanzaki Kokyukoki Mfg. Co., Ltd.
Controls and display functions are easy to identify and convenient to use
X350 Tractor mowing
Steering wheel and controls (switch turned on to show display)
The contoured dash has clean, attractive styling and ergonomic controls for easy use:
- Controls are color coded and labeled with English words for easy identification by the operator.
- Controls are logically placed and easy to reach.
- The power take-off (PTO) switch allows the operator to get fingers underneath it, like a T-handle, to pull up for easy activation.
- The reverse implement option (RIO) switch is a yellow button.
- The latch control on foot-lift models and hydraulic-lift control on power-lift models and the park brake latch are pivot levers for low effort.
- Cruise control activation is handled by an automotive-style button.
- Separate engine speed and choke controls make starting and warming up the engine easier in cold weather.
- The choke lever is spring loaded to eliminate the chance the tractor will be unintentionally operated with the choke partially closed.
- Functional design of the throttle and choke controls provides good appearance and a comfortable feel.
Display panel illustration with descriptions
Instrument display has the look and feel of a modern automobile. A power-up sequence cycles lights and gauges to indicate they are working:
- Display features dark-cockpit design to minimize operator distractions.
- Display is back lit for night visibility.
- Night visibility is especially useful with snow blower use.
- Hour meter makes it easy to tell when oil changes and other maintenance should be performed.
- Electronic fuel gauge provides real-time fuel level information.
- The X350R has a low fuel light, rather than a fuel gauge, to provide the operator with a noticeable warning when low on fuel.
- A tachometer graphically displays engine speed.
- Target-zone graphics inform the operator of the engine speed range to use for best cut quality.
- An indicator tells the operator when the PTO is operating.
- Bright caution and stop lights capture the operator's attention when important information is on the instrument cluster.
- Damage can be prevented and repair costs can be reduced by addressing problems early.
- Operators are advised of what the problem is if they attempt to operate the mower with unsatisfied PTO, seat, or park brake interlocks.
- The indicators are also useful to identify the reasons the PTO or engine may have shut off when an interlock is unsatisfied.
- Operators are advised if battery voltage is low, normal, or excessive.
- The service indicator light illuminates to indicate a diagnostic error code is stored.
- Onboard diagnostics provides trouble codes for use by trained technicians.
- For example, a technician can test switch functionality and circuit continuity without tools.
Twin Touch™ foot control
Twin Touch foot control
Twin Touch foot pedals control the speed and direction of travel:
- Automotive-type accelerator control ensures easy operation.
- Operator can change direction without lifting foot off the platform.
- Large pedal surface gives superior operator comfort.
Cruise control is standard equipment:
- To engage, push the cruise-control button and hold until the foot is removed from the forward pedal.
- For emergency stop, the cruise control can be released by pushing on the brake pedal or the forward pedal.
Mower deck height adjustment
Cut height adjusting knob
A rotary dial knob makes adjusting the mower cut height quick and easy:
- Provides mower cut heights in 0.25-in. (0.64-cm) increments from 1 in. (2.5 cm) to 4 in. (10.2 cm)
- Returns the mower deck to the same preset height each time it is lowered
Storage tray under tractor seat
Exact Adjust tool is used to level mower deck
Storage for the onboard deck-leveling gauge and the Exact Adjust tool is provided in the storage tray under the tractor’s seat:
- Exact Adjust ports on the fender deck allow for easy and accurate leveling of the mower deck for optimum mowing performance.
Deck-leveling gauge placed under deck
Deck-leveling gauge is placed at the appropriate location under the left rear, right rear, and front of the mower deck as the cut height is adjusted using the Exact Adjust tool and front draft arm adjusting nuts.
Foot-pedal lift system
Foot-pedal lift system
Pushing with the foot to raise the mower or implement is less strenuous for many operators than using a hand-lift lever:
- The easy-to-use raised position lock operates similarly to the park brake lock.
- The foot pedal is out of the way and not likely to catch on bushes and tree limbs when mowing.
- The mower deck returns to the same preset height each time it is lowered.
Adjustable lift-assist spring
Lift-assist spring decals and adjusting bolt
Close-up of lift-assist spring decal
NOTE: The adjustable lift-assist spring is standard equipment on tractors with manual foot-lift system that are shipped with the 48-in. (122-cm) and 54-in. (137-cm) side-discharge mowers, and an option for tractors shipped with 42-in. (107-cm) mowers. It is a recommended option for foot-lift tractors sold with the 42-in. (107-cm) mulch mower.
- Lift-assist spring is provided on tractors shipped from the factory with a 48-in. (122-cm) or 54-in. (137-cm) side-discharge mower deck, except models with hydraulic lift, and a recommended option for tractors equipped with a 42-in. (107-cm) mulch mower to minimize lift effort.
Lift effort can be easily adjusted by turning a bolt, located on the tractor front bumper, for optimum performance, depending on the equipment used (mower, front blade, snow blower, etc.).
The mower will not be inadvertently locked in the raised position when mowing through ditches.
When installing or removing a mower or front equipment raised by the foot-lift system, spring tension may be removed from the connection points by pulling rearward on the lift pedal and raising the lift latch to hold the pedal in the rearward position.
Parking brake control
Depressing the brake pedal applies internal wet-disk brakes, which provide better reliability and longer life than external brakes, for safe stopping.
The parking brake control is conveniently located for easy access. It holds the brake pedal securely in the locked position.
Electric PTO clutch is easy and convenient to use
Electric PTO switch
The heavy-duty electric PTO clutch is operated with a convenient dash-mounted switch.
Heavy-duty PTO clutch
The PTO clutch is designed to operate through many on/off cycles.
Reverse implement switch
Mower engagement PTO switch
CAUTION: Children or bystanders may be injured by rotating blades. Before traveling forward or rearward:
- Carefully check the area around the machine.
- Disengage the mower before backing up.
NOTE: Operating the mower while backing up is strongly discouraged. RIO should be used only when operating another attachment or when the operator deems it necessary to reposition the machine with the mower engaged.
- Stop forward travel. Allow attachment to run.
- Look down and behind the machine to be sure that there are no bystanders.
- Push and hold in the reverse implement switch while depressing the reverse pedal slightly.
NOTE: If the attachment stops while positioning the machine, return mower engagement (PTO) switch to off position. Repeat this procedure from the beginning.
- Release the reverse implement switch and reposition the machine as the machine begins to move rearward.
- Resume forward travel. The attachment should continue operating.
- Repeat procedure to position the machine again.
Frame is reliable heavy-duty welded steel
Welded, heavy-duty frame
The frame is made of heavy formed and welded steel, reinforced in critical areas for even greater strength:
- The frame is formed from 12-gauge, 0.105-in. (2.66-mm) thick material for long life.
- Standard front bumper and hitch plate are formed from 9-gauge, 0.15-in. (3.8-mm) steel and complete the frame assembly.
- Rear hitch plate can support two 42-lb (19-kg) Quik-Tatch weights.
- Weight bracket is built into the frame of two-wheel-steer models.
- Four-wheel-steer models require the optional weight bracket.
Front axle and wheel spindles are heavy-duty
Cast-iron front axle and steering spindles
Front axle is made of nodular cast iron:
- Cast-iron front axle is strong and shock resistant.
- Cast iron will not yield under heavy loads or impact.
A replaceable bushing is used at axle mounting:
- The bushing provides excellent wear resistance.
- Grease fittings at each spindle are easy to service.
Front steering spindle diameter is 0.75 in. (19 mm) for strength and long life:
- Have strength to handle heavy implements
- Provide long life at bearing surfaces
- Use sealed precision bearings in front wheels
Rear equipment-mounting system is heavy-duty and easy to use
Rear equipment mounting system
A heavy-duty equipment mounting system is used:
- Includes strong frame mounts with a combination of mounting holes in the tractor hitch plate that accept pins or shoulder bolts to support heavy rear-mounted equipment
- Easily attach optional equipment to the tractor
- Can bear the load of heavy rear-mounted equipment, such as material collection systems
Modern styling with functional design enhances appearance and performance
Hood air-intake louvers
Smooth, rounded contours present a modern, styled appearance:
- Hood styling incorporates efficient full-length air-intake louvers on each side, rather than on the top.
- Cooler engine operation
- Lower operator station sound levels
- Hot air is vented out the front grille, away from the operator.
- The fully enclosed hood is made of molded-in-color material.
- Reduces sound
- Will not rust or dent
- Distinctive grille and large, one-piece fender deck complete the styling package.
Two high-quality headlights give excellent visibility
Headlights are standard equipment on all models:
- Two 27-W bulbs provide excellent lighting for good visibility during evening operation.
- A headlight position on the ignition switch makes it easy to operate the headlights.
- The headlights are designed to provide an optimum lighting pattern for mowing and snow removal.
Operator station is comfortable and convenient
Comfortable operator station
The operator station is designed for operator comfort and ease of using controls:
- A large, 14-in. (36-cm) diameter steering wheel is comfortable to use and minimizes steering effort.
- Full-length foot mats provide comfort for the operator and protect the footrest area.
Comfortable open-back seat
An open-back 15-in. (38-cm) high-back seat provides a comfortable, smooth ride and good support for the operator:
- Seat travel of 6.6 in. (17 cm) with 15 positions allows the operator to be seated comfortably and easily operate the controls.
- Seat can be easily adjusted fore and aft by the operator while sitting on the seat.
- Open-back design allows air circulation to keep the operator's back cool and dry for a more comfortable ride.
- Grasp at the top of the seat is conveniently located for use when tilting the seat up to protect it from the weather.
Adjustable seat suspension
Seat suspension with springs in rear position
Seat suspension with springs in forward position
The seat suspension is adjustable, without tools, for the weight of the operator:
- Springs are adjustable fore and aft to any of three positions.
- No tools required
- Allows fine-tuning of the suspension for the operator's weight
- Back position for more support for heavier operators
- Tool tray is designed into the seat base.
- Can be used to store gloves, small tools, etc.
- Provides storage location for Exact Adjust tool and deck-leveling gauge
Cup holder and toolbox
Cup holder and covered toolbox on fender
Covered toolbox with open cover
A cup holder and covered toolbox are located on the fender for operator convenience:
- The cup holder holds a variety of container sizes.
- Toolbox provides convenient storage.
- Toolbox cover snaps closed to provide protection for loose tools, cell phones, etc.
- Cup holder and toolbox are constructed of durable acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) plastic.
Removable plug for optional 12-V outlet
Location for optional 12-V outlet
A removable plug on the console, in front of the operator, provides a convenient location for the optional 12-V outlet and makes installation easy.
- Convenient for plugging in cell phone charger and other electric devices
- Can be used to operate electric rear equipment, such as a sprayer or spreader
12-V fast connector
Fast connector location
A mid-vehicle, 12-V fast connector, located under the tractor’s fuse box, is included as standard equipment to reduce initial installation time for some attachments that operate on 12-V power from the tractor:
- The four-cavity connector includes battery, ground, and key switch terminals and is turned on and off with the ignition switch.
Serviceability is convenient with easy-open hood
One-piece hood is easy to open
Service interval decal located under hood
The one-piece hood opens easily to permit checking and servicing the engine:
- Important service points are located within easy reach.
- A service-interval decal is provided inside the tractor hood for convenience when servicing the tractor.
Easy-to-service engine fuel and oil filters
The engine fuel and oil filters, the oil check/fill tube, and the oil drain tube are exposed for serviceability when the hood is opened.
Quick response (QR) codes link to owner information web pages
Example product identification number (PIN) label with QR code
John Deere riding lawn mowers are supported by owner information web pages that include links to:
- Safety and how-to videos
- Operator’s manuals
- Parts catalog
- Maintenance reminder sheets
- Warranty statements
To speed access to owner information web pages, a QR code is printed onto a PIN label located under the hood on trim side of the steering pedestal. Since each vehicle model has its own web page, the links are specific to the owner’s model. The QR code also includes the vehicle’s unique PIN which allows for additional customization of the owner information web page in the future.
Exact Adjust ports and onboard deck-leveling tools make precise deck adjustments easy
Deck-leveling gauge and hex adjusting tool stored under tractor seat
Exact Adjust access holes
A mower deck must be level side-to-side and properly adjusted front-to-rear to give the best cutting performance. A removable onboard deck-leveling gauge and a hex-key tool are provided to make adjustment easy. They are securely stored under the tractor seat.
Exact Adjust leveling ports are provided on each side of the operator platform above the mower-level adjusting bolts. With the hex-shaped tool, they provide convenient access to allow quick and easy adjustment of the mower for the best-cut quality of cut.
The Exact Adjust feature is standard on all Select Series™ X300 and X500 Tractors:
- There is no need to reach under the fender deck while making the mower-level adjustment.
- Onboard deck-leveling gauge, Exact Adjust ports, and the hex tool work together.
- Level the mower deck side to side
- Set the correct amount of rake (front-to-back deck orientation)
- Calibrate the cutting height to the cut-height adjusting knob setting
- Exact Adjust simplifies leveling the mower deck if equipped with a Power Flow™ blower.
- To give the best cut, mower level should be adjusted if alternately mowing with and without blower installed. The Exact Adjust feature makes this easy.
Deck-leveling tool placed under deck
Using included ball-hex tool to level mower deck
Consult the operator's manual for the correct adjusting procedures for each tractor model. Basic adjusting steps to properly level the mower deck include:
- Park the tractor on a level surface.
- Inflate tires to the correct pressure.
- Consult the label for the cutting-height knob that is located on the console of the machine. This label shows deck-leveling position and location of deck-leveling adjustment points.
Cut height adjusting knob
- Set mower cutting-height knob to the correct deck-leveling position.
- Adjust mower wheels as necessary so they do not contact the ground surface.
- Remove the onboard deck-leveling gauge that is located under the seat.
- Using the Exact Adjust ports and tool, adjust mower deck side-to-side level so the deck-leveling gauge just slips under the left and right lower deck rim at the designated adjustment points. The location of adjustment points varies slightly between decks.
- Left- and right-rear adjustment points are under the deck rim near the rear mower wheels, if equipped.
- Adjust mower deck front-to-back level, if necessary.
- Loosen rear nuts equally on each side of front lift rod.
- Turn front nut equally on each side clockwise to raise front of mower or counterclockwise to lower it until gauge just slips under the front adjustment point.
- Tighten rear nuts after adjustment is complete.
- Return the gauge to its storage position.
NOTE: The adjusting tool supplied with the tractor is an 8-mm ball-hex key, part number M162737. The rounded end allows for some misalignment with the bolt as the deck is adjusted.
Help maintain your mower and lawn with the MowerPlus™ app and connector
MowerPlus home screen
MowerPlus maintenance screen
Keep a mower running its best and know how it mows with the John Deere MowerPlus app. Simply scan the mower’s barcode to get custom information about the mower.
- Engine hours, fuel level, and battery health (as compatible)
- Mowing history with time, distance, area, and speed
- Current day and five-day weather forecast based on location
- Walk-through setup guides
- Expert mowing tips
- Useful attachments for future purchase
- Periodic maintenance reminders
- Safety instructions
To download the free MowerPlus app, visit the Apple® App Store® or Google Play™ store.
MowerPlus connectors (sold separately)
MowerPlus Hour Meter Connector
MowerPlus Deluxe Smart Connector, with a phone
Three MowerPlus connectors are available to transmit vehicle information to the MowerPlus app.
BUC10510 MowerPlus Hour Meter Connector is for use with:
- Model year 2003 to 2020 100 Series Tractors, including all models with an E, D, LA, or L prefix
- Model year 2015 to 2020 S240 Tractors (serial number -880,000)
- S100, S110, S140, and S220 Tractors
BUC10929 MowerPlus Deluxe Smart Connector is for use with:
- All S120, S130, S160, S170, and S180 Tractors
- Model year 2021 and newer S240 Tractors (serial number 880,001-)
- Model year 2021 and newer Z515E, Z530M, Z530R, and Z545R (serial number 010,001-)
BUC10537 MowerPlus Smart Connector is for use with:
- Model year 2016 and newer Select Series X300 and X500 Tractors
All the MowerPlus connectors transmit engine hour information to the app, making it easy to track maintenance intervals. The MowerPlus Smart Connector and MowerPlus Deluxe Smart Connector also transmit the fuel level.
MowerPlus connectors require the MowerPlus app on a mobile device to use. The John Deere MowerPlus app and operating system requirements can be found in the mobile device’s app store. The MowerPlus app is only available in the English language, and it is not available in all countries. BUC10510 MowerPlus Hour Meter Connector requires iOS® version 10 or higher and is not compatible with Android™ operating systems.
Apple and App Store are trademarks of Apple, Inc. Google Play and Android are trademarks of Google LLC. iOS is a trademark of Cisco Technology, Inc. used under license by Apple Inc.